Grain-free exotic diets and the correlation with DCM in dogs | VETgirl Veterinary Continuing Education Podcasts
In today’s VETgirl online veterinary continuing education podcast, we interview Dr. Joshua Stern, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVIM (Cardiology), Associate Professor at UC Davis on the correlation between exotic, grain-free diets and dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM). Is it taurine deficiency related? Why are we seeing this in Golden retrievers? Tune in to learn more!
Some great resources that Dr. Stern mentioned in this podcast include:
- UC Davis’ website on Nutritionally-mediated DCM
- Taurine Deficiency Veterinary Professionals Facebook page
- Research at University of Florida on diet-related DCM
- A pet owner created website called Taurine DCM and their Facebook page
1. Freeman LM, Stern JA, Fries R, et al. Diet-associated dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs: what do we know? J Am Vet Med Assoc 2018;253:1390-1394.
2. Darcy A, DeFrancesco TC, Keene B, et al. Echocardiographic phenotype of canine dilated cardiomyopathy differs based on diet type. J Vet Cardiology 2019;21:1-9.
3. Kaplan JL, Stern JA, Fascetti AJ, et al. Taurine deficiency and dilated cardiomyopathy in golden retrievers fed commercial diets. PLOS ONE 2018;13(12): e0210233.